November 15th, 2016 | Breanne Eckleberry
This world can be so hectic and everything moves so fast that a lot of times we forget to enjoy “me.” Most people are more concerned about focusing on their appearance than they are on their emotional well-being. Sometimes we need to just stop and focus on ourselves and our minds and the 100 emotions we feel on a daily basis. This is something that I have been trying to work on recently. I have been trying to take some time out of each day to clear my mind, bring peace to my head or just not think about anything at all. I’ve put together a list of the top 5 activities to make sure you’re doing on a daily basis that will be sure to bring peace to your life.
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
1) Read – Read anything you’re interested in. Take time out of your busy day and pick up a book or your kindle, pick up the newspaper or read a blog! You can even go the library or Barnes and Noble for a change of scenery. Pick something that catches your interest and get lost in another world for just a little while. This will clear your head of your own life and put you in someone else’s shoes for just a little while.
“Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life.”
2) Have a meaningful conversation – It’s always nice to sit down with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine and just talk. Whether it’s a friend, a family member or your significant other, having a meaningful talk can ease your mind. Just to know someone is there for you, someone is listening to you and cares about your well-being can really help your state of mind. The easiest way to do this is dinner time. This is something that is so important to me; family dinners. You and your roommate, husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, children sitting down, sharing a meal and talking about your day. I sometimes don’t think people understand how truly important this is.
“Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after.”
3) Go outside – I know this sounds silly and you’re probably thinking “I am outside a few times every day already.” Walking to your car and in and out of work is not what I mean. I mean ENJOY the outdoors. You don’t have to do a 4-mile hike in the woods to be able to appreciate nature. Try eating your lunch outside at a picnic bench or taking a walk around your neighborhood after dinner. Sit in the park and READ. I work in an office where the only windows in the building are the windows in all the big boss’ offices. Do you know how depressing that can be; not being able to see the sunshine ALL DAY? I started taking my lunch outside and let me tell you, what a difference! Although some days I don’t want to go back in, it always puts the mind at ease.
“Our task must be to free ourselves… by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it’s beauty.”
4) Take “you” time – This could be the easiest or hardest for you. Sometimes you feel like there is just too much to accomplish in a day and you don’t have time to do something just for yourself. Not true! Take 5 minutes, take 15 minutes, take an hour; but take some time for yourself. Whether it be taking a nice bubble bath, pampering yourself, going to the salon to get your hair or nails done, or even doing it at home yourself. Another great idea is arts and crafts. I sat at the table the other night with my boyfriend’s daughter to draw and let me tell you, I really enjoyed it! It cleared my head, gave my brain a break and allowed me to be creative; even if only for a few minutes.
“Do anything, but let it produce joy.”
5) Do something productive – We do that every day when we go to work, right? I am not talking about your job, I am talking about your home life. It’s always nice to go to bed feeling accomplished like you did something worthwhile with your time. This doesn’t have to be something huge, it could be something as simple as giving the pets a bath or something more time consuming like cleaning all the windows or floors in your house. You could also pick up a hobby like I did and write! Starting a blog has been one of my favorite things to do with my time. When I post a new article and hear all your wonderful feedback it really makes me feel like I am doing something that matters! No matter what you chose to do each day, make sure that when you get ready for bed you feel like you did something that matters, something that can bring you that sense of accomplishment we all need.
“I enjoy writing, I enjoy my house, my family and, more than anything I enjoy the feeling of seeing each day used to the full to actually produce something. The end.”
I hope you have found this list helpful and even more so, I hope that you incorporate this into your daily schedule. We spend so much time doing things that are in no way beneficial to our lives that it’s time we start living in a way where we can go to bed and wake up each day at peace with ourselves.
“We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.”
About The Writer: “My name is Breanne and I am your (mostly) average 27-year-old female just trying to get by. I like to curse, drink and walk around with no pants on. I love the shit out of the people close to me and honestly, they’re pretty fond of me as well. My boyfriend Tom is my best friend. I drive him crazy ALL THE TIME, but he loves it. How boring would life be if your partner didn’t make you want to hang them outside every once in a while? That’s how I see it anyway.”